Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Football!

Longtime readers know that I have a serious passion for two things: my wonderful wife and college football. Well, luckily enough, my wife stays with me throughout the year, but football only lasts for about 3 months+, so I have to immerse myself when I can.
One can count on only a few truths these days, but among them is the certainty that the Notre Dame football team will be massively overrated. Once again the Irish proved themselves wholly unfit to be ranked anywhere near the top 10, let alone #2, barely staggering past an unranked and unheralded Georgia Tech 14-10. LordGodKing Quarterback Brady Quinn, widely assumed to be a frontrunner for the Heisman Trophy, seemingly played moderately well--until one realizes that Ga. Tech has just 5 seniors on their entire defensive roster, and only 3 of those are starters, only 1 of whom plays in the defensive backfield! In other words, this is a very young team at this point in the season, and shouldn't have provided much of a challenge at all for the vaunted Notre Dame gridiron attack.
Sheesh.
At least the poll voters recognized, sort of, their astounding lack of insight by dropping ND in their voting--by all of 2 spots, of course, but we can't all be smart. Or pay attention. Or know what the heck is going on.
The Ducks, on the other hand, fared remarkably well against their weak opening opponent Stanford, pasting them 48-10. Now that's how you handle an unranked, unheralded team. Heck, Stanford is a conference foe that Oregon sees almost every year; most people would expect games like this to be closer simply due to the familiarity factor alone.
Lastly, we won't mention TBO's Alma Mater's meltdown in the Smokies . . .

1 Comments:

Blogger Slangred said...

Smooove, Luvey. You put me first, so I wouldn't get my knickers in a wad over impending football widowhood. :) I love you, too!
I'll gladly root for the Ducks and the Bears and even the Bruins. Beyond that, you're on your own as usual. But I'll welcome the sounds of football on the telly as yet another harbinger of fall. :)

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home