Monday, August 06, 2007

For the record

I know I haven't been writing lately; the political landscape is far too depressing for me to even rant about it. The Congressional capitulation over FISA, though, goes beyond even my capacity of disgust. The original FISA regulation was embarrassingly weak already, and now our Democratic Congress has decided to weaken it further? For what? This is disgraceful, and when I saw that one of my own Senators voted in favor of this travesty, I finally had to say something. Here is what I sent Dianne Feinstein:
Dear Senator Feinstein,
I've been under the weather lately, so I didn't get the chance to see that you had voted in favor of passing the FISA retooling bill. This, of course, is sickening to anyone who cares about our country's heritage of both open government and civil liberties, and I'm simply disgusted with your support of it. There was simply nothing wrong with the original FISA operation--in fact, I believe it was too lax already in providing proper oversight of executive intrusion into private communications and lives. Broadening its scope--indeed, giving any more power to our executive branch at all at this point--is inimical to the original intent of our Founding Fathers that we should have 3 distinct and separate branches of government safeguarding our civil rights. Indeed, it is supposed to be Congress itself that provides us with security against executive overreach, but ever since 2001, that body, and every one who has served in it, has been failing us repeatedly. 9/11 did not "change everything", and I am far more scared of Republicans than I am of Al-Qaeda or any other terrorist organization, because they have done immeasurably more damage to our nation than any other group over the past 27 years. That you would join them in decimating our Constitution on any vote, let alone one that had its genesis in violating privacy rights even further and legitimizing this Administration's wanton lawlessness in regards to its own citizens, makes me question your patriotism, and frankly, your qualifications to hold this office. What is certain is that you have lost my vote in the future, and to what extent I can, I will work as hard as I can to help any Democratic primary opponents you face.
Shame on you.
Sincerely, ******* *******, citizen of California

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Slangred said...

Amen. I'm gonna get cracking on my own letter.

:*
TBO

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I want to know is if Dianne answered you. Not that she has an answer that would make her wrong right!

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home