Thursday, May 15, 2008

Sometimes, we all need an editor--apparently

Ok, so I usually don't--make that, I've never before--clicked through on any of the stories or spam recipes that Google slaps up on my gmail page. But this one, for some reason, caught my eye: "'Snake Man' Slithers Out Of Prison Cell". (Don't ask me why. I don't know.) The story is silly enough, but what kills me is the byline: (Reporting by Paul Bolding; editing by Keith Weir). This is a story that contains all of 3 sentences, but the good Mr. Bolding needed an editor? How did that happen? Was the challenge of boiling down a story about an escaped prisoner to its elements too much of a strain for Bolding so that he gave up? How much background did Bolding write for Weir to cut out? Or maybe Bolding was merely such a bad writer that Weir had to bail him out. I'd love to have been in on that conversation:
"Hey Paul, great piece on the Snake Man, but it needs some tightening up."
"No way, Weir! You touch that 4th sentence and I quit!"
"Easy there big fella. Let me take a pass at it and we'll go from there."
I mean, c'mon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home