Thursday, June 16, 2005

Something else, and another great man

As some of you already know, this past week has pretty much sucked. In addition to my own troubles--I've been given a preliminary diagnosis of lymphoma, for those of you I've mistakenly neglected to contact--my dissertation adviser of many years died at the waaaaay too early age of 62. Eric Monkkonen was a brilliant historian, with an inquisitive and penetrating mind. More importantly than that, though, Eric was a good person through and through. He never failed to support my decisions, even when they were wrong-headed, and when I was frustrated or awash with insecurities, he consistently brought me out of my funks. He gave me the strength and wisdom I needed to get through the amount of the Ph.D. program I did, and he gave me the direction I lacked. When it came time for me to exit the program due to a lack of funds, he continued to support me whenever I sought him out. When I decided to apply to library school, he characteristically said, "That's a great idea! You can always come back to your dissertation later."
I last saw him about 4 years ago, I guess--far too long ago, yet it feels like mere days instead--and he was his usual chipper self as he inquired about my path. He had never given me any inkling that since 1995 he had been fighting cancer, and you sure couldn't tell from his attitude or demeanor, so it's been a great shock to me to learn of his death. I know his colleagues at UCLA and around the world mourn his death; we are all the poorer for his leaving us. As for me, I feel like I've lost my rudder when it comes to my history degree, and even more than that, I know I'll never find a greater sponsor or a more loyal mentor.
If I can navigate my way through the dark days ahead with half as much aplomb and good cheer as Eric showed me, I will consider that an incredible accomplishment. His death may not affect my everyday existence, but I will feel the loss keenly enough as it is. One of the bright spots in my life has been cruelly dimmed too soon. Even if I had just a small role in your life, Professor Monkkonen, I hope you knew that you were a major player in mine, and any future success I have in academic pursuits will be entirely due to your influence and good will. The personal support you showed me without fail marks my endeavors already.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a beautifully written piece about an extraordinary man. Thanks for writing it.

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home