Saturday, February 18, 2006

Well, since nobody asked . . .

Four jobs I've had:
1) Bartender (3 times)
2) Manager of 20/20 video store
3) Busboy for Valle's Steakhouse
4) Telephone solicitor for Lawn Doctor

Four movies I can rewatch endlessly:
1) Murder, My Sweet--not the bleakest film noir, but lots o' fun
2) Groundhog Day (appropriately)
3) The Sure Thing--wonderfully sweet, with nice comic touches as well
4) The Road Warrior--the first movie I ever saw based solely on a review; I will be/was eternally grateful to Siskel and Ebert for giving it "2 thumbs up".

Movie I must rewatch, because I...CAN'T...TURN...AWAY:
1) Top Gun--"That's right, ICE...man, I am dangerous."
"Yeah, your old man did it the right way. What I am about to tell you is highly classified and could end my career."
"I'm too late, aren't I? You've already given up. You've got that move down, haven't you, Maverick?"
"I'm going to hit the breaks and they'll fly right on by." "You're gonna WHAT?!"

AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHH!!! Stop me!

Four places I've lived:
1) Rockville, Maryland--home
2) Eugene, Oregon--school
3) Madison, Wisconsin--one summer when refuge was sorely needed
4) The South Bay, LA County, which is in its own universe. Trust me.

Four television shows I love:
1) Wiseguy--gone, but never forgotten
2) Homicide--responsible for the single most intense hour of TV ever shot
3) The Wire--first season starts slowly, but builds to the best (if not the happiest) ending I've seen in awhile
4) The Simpsons--year in, year out, the richest, most allusion-dense comedy on the planet

Four places I've vacationed:
1) Ocean City, New Jersey--almost every year when I was growing up
2) Canadian Rockies--a cool bus/train trip with TBO and the family
3) RV trip all over the Southwest--3 week family vacation when we lived back east
4) Bahstin, Mass.--one of my closest friends lives there

Four sites visited daily:
1) Daily Kos--for news and my political fix
2) My own blog--because my ego's as big as the whole outdoors (Has anyone commented today? Lemme check . . .)
3) eBay--because you can never have enough Infinity floor standing speakers in the house
4) The Grrrly Librarian--because love is hard to come by in this world, and having found it, I don't intend on taking it for granted!

Four places I'd rather be:
1) At home, working on my neverending quest for the perfect playlist for my neverending collection of music media devices
2) In my baby's arms
3) On the road, driving toward a far destination where there is no strife or stress, only friends and fun
4) Somewhere where bigots aren't

Four books I love:
1) The Lord of the Rings--reread countless times since I was in junior high
2) Revolution in the Head--a brilliant song-by-song analysis of the Beatles. I wish every group I care about had someone do this for their stuff.
3) Army of the Potomac trilogy--started me on the path to my love of history in general and the Civil War specifically. Incredible lyricism and passionate writing from Bruce Catton, filling the pages with characters and events that changed the world.
4) The Origins of the Republican Party--quite simply, the best written academic history book I've ever read. Unfortunately, Gienapp died in 2003, leaving this story (and many others from his too-soon stilled pen) unfinished.

Four video/PC games I play:
1) "Bookworm"--damn flaming tiles
2) "Railroad Tycoon"--the progenitor of all the "tycoon" games, addictive and even a bit educational
3) "Rail Baron"--based on my favorite board game of all time, this unofficial version may not even exist any longer . . .
4) Either a "Magic: The Gathering" or a "Dungeons & Dragons" game, depending on their quality

Four Albums I love:
1) The Velvet Underground, "White Light/White Heat"--opened my eyes to a new kind of music when I first heard it as an impressionable youth. No more Top 40 for me!
2) Joy Division, "Closer"--opened my eyes to a new kind of music when I first heard it as a callow adolescent in college. Or: Its hymnlike iciness lingers in the ear like molasses, drawing one into its paradoxically warm embrace.
3) Bruce Springsteen, "Darkness on the Edge of Town"--his most consistently strong album.
4) And today's #4 choice: Journey, "Infinity"--ok, so maybe I haven't given up the Top 40 forever. On the other hand, Steve Perry hadn't completely taken over the band yet, so it's not as bad as one might think.

Now can I stop thinking for the day?

7 Comments:

Blogger Slangred said...

1) Plenty of people asked, and you were even officially tagged by sporks, so thanks for answering!
2) I'm the baby who's arms is the second listed place you'd rather be, right? Just checking. Oddly, you could be talking about the cat. Or do you have a baby somewhere I don't know about?
3) How's that molasses in your ear working out for you? Or is it ice in your ear? :)
:*
TBO

3:37 PM  
Blogger Slangred said...

Oops! I meant "whose" arms. Just giving you a freebie for making fun of me. Remeber the "where's the apostrophe" hilarity? ;)
TBO

3:38 PM  
Blogger sporksforall said...

Thanks slangred. I did tag you so you were asked. So there. Also, Journey? Really? That changes my whole view of you.

8:44 AM  
Blogger bryduck said...

I totally didn't understand what "tagging" was--simply mentioning my name was it? Oops. I thought it meant you had to say something on that person's blog . . .

10:18 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Ooh, like graffiti! "Dude, let's go tag Bry's blog!"

I guess I can't fault you for not knowing that bit of blog lingo. It must mean you're spending more time thinking about your own blog than reading others' blogs, which is a nice thing, because it gives us all more access to the tick tick ticking of your lovely brain.

Still, I can't believe Styx didn't make it into your music faves.

10:57 AM  
Blogger bryduck said...

One cannot deny the power and majesty of "The Grand Illusion", that's true. But I like my guitarists taller than 4'5", if you don't mind. In any case, today's #4 album is (and how could I forget this one) Emerson Lake and Palmer's "Tarkus".

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved your lists of four. Was there any symbolism about the number? It was like looking into your private life - but isn't that almost the purpose of your blog?

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home