Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Goodbyes (work version)

I've never been one to keep a job for all that long, although to be fair to myself, I don't leave them that early either. I think my average has been 4-5 years of tenure--when given the choice--which isn't too bad given my previous lack of what one might call a "career". I've been at my current location for 3 years+ and am now leaving it. I'm not getting fired or quitting (for a change); my promotion will take me from a Central Library to a branch. The two locales and positions, though, call for wildly different skills and attitudes, so the job effect is much the same as if I had been switching employers again.
The real change, however, is more personal for me. I've seen the same co-workers--friends, really--on a daily basis for most of those 3 years, and even though I'll be working for the same organization, I'll be reduced to seeing these people once a month at best. As I've said previously, I have a wide streak of nostalgia running through me, and this kind of change activates that feeling to a great extent. My "nostalgia" isn't necessarily a looking backward in all cases; sometimes it's more of a feeling that I'm missing something that is happening with people I used to know.
In this case, I know that life will be going on here without me and I'll be on the outside looking in on those events. New friendships and relationships will be formed by the people I'm leaving, and I won't be a part of it. (Yes, I know that my life will be progressing as well, but that's only cause for more disenchantment, due to the fact that my "old" friends won't be a part of that, either!)
So, fare thee well my friends. See you soon.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Surly,

I have two reactions to this.

Good for you! You'll do great!

*and*

WAAAAHHH!!! I'll miss you! (Cause I'm assuming you'll have to give up some things?)

The Towel Thrower

1:31 PM  
Blogger bryduck said...

I'm not sure what I'll be giving up, if anything, at this point. It's nice to be missed, though. Thanks!

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude! I'll miss you and our kibitzing on the Ref Desk--who else can I talk to about the finer points of meaningful (meaningless to most others) sports trivia and statistics? Jerry? Nope. Anywho, Central's loss is Montrose's gain. Cliche, I know, but true. Best wishes for a healthy and happy 2007! Mazeltov, Bryan!

P.S. The Packers will beat the Bears on New Year's Eve in Chicago to take the last NFC Wild Card. Mazeltov to you too, Brett!

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Packers did their part & beat the non-showing up Bears but, what happened to their play off place? The Chiefs? Oh, give me a break!
GOM

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gerald Ford was a good man and, by all accounts, an able and dedicated
congressman. I believe that he did help to sooth our national Watergate wounds, if for no other reason, that he was such a great relief after Nixon. There will always be debate about the pardon.
The one thing for which I find it difficult to forgive him is his having remained silent about his objections to the invasion of Iraq, when his national respect, especially among those of his own party, might have saved many lives, not to mention national prestige and treasure.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home