Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Now what?

With John Edwards out, I see absolutely no candidate worth voting for in the Democratic Primary next Tuesday. I will, of course, vote for the Democratic Party nominee in November, but the choice of Obama v. Clinton leaves me cold in either direction. Demagoguery on the one hand, and machine politics on the other. Flimsy policies against actual support of conservative ideals. Neither care too much about the economy--both were dragged into co-opting Edwards's message in order to keep him marginalized--which I see as The Issue over the next 2-3 decades (which, realistically speaking, might be the rest of my life). Neither has made much of health care--heck, Obama still doesn't support universal health care!--without Edwards's prompting, either. On virtually every plank of the probable Democratic platform this summer, Edwards (or Al Gore) led and the two remaining candidates followed.
Boo.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Surly,

I feel exactly the same way.

*sniff*

I don't know what to do.

Sincerely, The Tower Thrower

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you can choose to not vote and once again, none of the above will win.

3:12 PM  
Blogger bryduck said...

Perhaps you're confused--this is the Democratic Primary election. Whoever wins will be a Democrat, and therefore will receive my vote in November, because either one is far superior to any of the Republicans. I don't care which one it is.
Now, what's your point again?

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My point is that there are often important referendum and local races that are decided in the primary. By choosing to abstain, you allow someone else to determine how your dollars are spent. There are funding initiatives, term limits legislation, and Indian gaming laws. All of these issues are decided by the people who don't ignore the ballot box. Ask your friends in Oregon how the referendums have affected their lives (and, in some cases, how they choose to end them; one of the great defeats of the last 8 years suffered but the Republican'ts was Ashcroft v. Oregon).
Hope that clears things up.

10:39 AM  
Blogger bryduck said...

And at what point did I say I wasn't going to vote on the local initiatives? I was talking about the Presidential Primary election . . .

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about Edwards as the Veep candidate on whoever wins ticket?

8:41 AM  
Blogger bryduck said...

Even though we know Dick has been running this Administration, traditionally the VP's office is, shall we say, useless. I would much prefer Edwards as the Attorney General, or better yet, a Supreme Court Justice.

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home