Monday, May 10, 2010

Because it's too depressing

I haven't written in a long while--the longest stretch since I started this blog, iirc--because almost every single piece of national news I've received has been bad. The health care bill passed, but is weak sauce and doesn't appear to be getting stronger anytime soon. Republicans are becoming increasingly crazy, which is saying a lot. The Republican Party is institutionalizing the craziness as well: at least in Maine, the official Party platform has been rewritten by the Teabaggers. Low points: 1) Eliminate voter registration at the DMV; 2) Eliminate the pension for Congresspersons, none of whom will serve more than 12 years anyway; 3) "Reassert the principle that 'Freedom of Religion' does not mean 'freedom from religion'" (iow, create an air of harassment, at least, for anyone not espousing a religious belief); 4) Promote family values by defining marriage as heterosexual; 5) Institutionalize forced pregnancy ideology; 6) "Return to the principles of Austrian Economics" (iow, allow for an utterly unregulated free market); 7) Remove governmental regulation of energy companies (in the face of the Gulf oil spill, no less!); and the most heartless one of all, 8) "Clarify that healthcare is not a right. It is a service. . . . Only market based solutions will solve the problems."
To repeat: this is in Maine, the home of the supposedly moderate Republicans Snowe and Collins. The lesson here is that Republicans of all stripes are bound and determined to not just overturn any progressive legislation passed by the most recent Congress and Presidency, but all such laws written since the Civil War (and some from before that!) If you are a registered Republican and do not believe in some of the stuff listed above or in the Maine platform, I suggest you rethink your registration status (while you still can). The Republican Party has shown a marked reluctance over the last 16 years to do anything but destroy this country, and if you don't see that you are blind. If at worst you support this kind of thing, you are either stupid or evil. To those pantywaists who would try to get me to tone down my rhetoric because I might offend someone and prevent some sort of epiphany from the deluded, I say this: I don't care about convincing Republicans to see things my way, or even the sane way, because I honestly doubt they are capable of caring about other people at all. I've grown weary of being subjected to the cold brutality of rightwing oppression that has been slowly taking over this country ever since I became old enough to vote. During my whole adult life I have never witnessed the passage or implementation of any progressive legislation--instead I have seen the withering away of all semblance of hope for its resurgence, as the forces of sociopathic conservative rule stymie resistance at every turn. Bit by bit and law by law, our country is being run into the ground by the rich and Republican, and there aren't any levers left for the rest of us to pull that can make it any better. We no longer own the media, we no longer have effective representation in our political bodies, and we no longer can afford to do anything but work (if we're lucky enough to have jobs, that is) until we die.
To those of you who have voted for any Republicans since 1994, and especially since 1999: Fuck You. Fuck You. Fuck You. You killed the US, and you're killing my dreams for my son to have any kind of decent future here. You chose to put yourselves above the good of anyone else alive on the planet, and if you didn't realize it, fuck you for being stupid, because there were plenty of ways you could have figured that out long before now. If you voted for any Republican in that time period and are now out of work? You deserve it, you stupid worthless moron. Pull yourself up by your own bootstraps now, jackass. That's the kind of world you wanted, isn't it? Go die cold in the ditch outside somebody else's gated community, you scumbag, because those are the only people you helped with your vote, and I don't care how old you are, or how much money you donated to some cause, because you prevented millions more from getting the help they needed from the stripped-down helpless government you voted for. If you are a Republican officeholder at any level of government, I hope there is a heaven and a hell, because you will surely burn forever in a Lake of Fire for having screwed over as many people as you possibly could for as long as you possibly could for the sake of yourself and your cronies, which is the most un-Christian attitude there could possibly be. For those of you who think that Maine Republicans are just being extreme, and I'm being too harsh, it's too late for you to wake up, so enjoy your early onset retirement and death, because they've already come for you and there's already no one left to speak up.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Out of curiosity, who did YOU vote for in 80, 84, 88, etc?

12:18 PM  
Blogger bryduck said...

Not that it's any of your business, since we have a secret ballot in the US, and not that the years you've begun with are relevant, since I stated quite clearly in my post that I was talking about the years "since 1994", but for the record, I was apolitical until the '90s (although I voted for Anderson in 1980), when it became clear to me that something quite seriously wrong was going on in the US.
Are you asking only about Presidential elections (which I assume, since you only mention Presidential years)? Do you simply not care about other elections, which betrays a insouciance that is poison to democracy?
In any case, I voted for Clinton 2x, Gore, Kerry, and Obama in the generals, so I guess I can state with some confidence that in retrospect I would have also voted for Dukakis and Mondale, but I won't defend my callow youthful decision to abstain.
For whom have you voted for President, and why would you think I would be bashful in revealing my choices? (Or was there some other agenda lurking behind your question?)

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home