Wednesday, June 22, 2005

"That dusty old dust/ keeps rollin' along"

As loath as I am to jump into this morass again (due to his supporters' vocal and obviously blind faith in his abilities and ideals), Michael McGrorty's done it again. His latest post, found here, is a scolding of the librarians he professes to love so much, based on the hiring practices used in most public library systems. While his entire rant might be completely written off as the ravings of a man whose grapes have turned exceedingly sour, unfortunately it is also ignorant to the ways of the world, and offensive to those people who work very hard to find good candidates for their limited job openings.
McGrorty notes at the outset that he is not a good interviewee, although I would point out that he has apparently had ample opportunities to practice; he is clearly not one to bend his notion of what is right or sensible to accommodate others' points of view. "Generally, when they ask me those idiotic questions--you know, the ones like, 'What would you do if a patron came to the desk and was very angry about a kid using the Internet,' I tend to treat them like idiotic questions, and I probably look like it as well."
Gee, Michael, do you think it might be possible that the person who wrote that question may indeed be sitting opposite from you? It's not that big a wonder you are still unemployed . . . And regardless of whether you think that is an "idiotic" question, these kinds of "situational questions" are drawn from real-life episodes, and the managers who are judging your potential worth as a professional working for them are interested in seeing how you handle yourself. Customer service, which is a large part of librarianship, requires an inordinate amount of self-control, and treating a patron's actual question as "idiotic" is a quick way to involve not just you, but your entire library in an (at best) embarrassing lawsuit.
McGrorty continues his paragraph, "I am not good at concealing amusement, and it is not beyond me to inquire whether the panel is satisfied that such questions reveal the better candidates. Among librarians there is a saying that there are no dumb questions; most likely those who say this have never served on an interview panel."
Get a freaking clue! Librarians say that there are no dumb questions because we must have that attitude when dealing with the public. We are trying to encourage people to use our resources and thereby prove our continued worth to a society that wants to eliminate us. Part of the interview process is, at least in your case, Michael, figuring out ways of answering even the most practical of queries intelligently and equably, because in this way the managers can reasonably assess your ability to do so at the desk. Treating the process as some sort of joke provides a big hint to those whom you are presumably trying to impress that you are not serious about their profession.
McGrorty posits that librarians have no actual standards of conduct, which has resulted in our hiring practices being determined by non-professionals. "The hiring rules and procedures for librarians in many parts of this land were established by default: the libraries simply did nothing to maintain their own systems and the county or the municipality stepped in and took over. Librarianship has engaged in a century-long debate with itself over standards, yet somehow come away without any decent examinations for the job?at least that hiring authorities accept."
Even given that McGrorty offers no references or citations for his assertion--just another odd bugaboo that librarians, in addition to any responsible writers or researchers, are required to provide--the fact remains that public libraries are, well, public. We are funded by the cities, townships, counties, etc., and that means that they have an obvious stake in what goes on inside our walls. Why shouldn't they have a say in how our professionals are hired? The whole notion of "civil service" was to reduce the chances of political corruption, but it plays out in our arena as a curb on nepotism or cronyism. (Check out the old, but still useful Outlawing the Spoils and the newer Politics of Civil Service Reform.) Allowing "outsiders" (as McGrorty calls these funding bodies) to at least oversee our hiring process is the price we pay for not having to defend the institution from lawsuits every time a new librarian is hired. Ideal? Maybe not. Cause for condemnation and ridicule? Certainly not.
McGrorty then shows his solipsism and grandiosity once again by assuming that all people are as smart as he is:
I fear for the future of any library system whose professionals are sifted from the mass of humanity on the basis of questions like: 'If you were to be assigned to a children's [sic] section, what sort of preparation would you undertake for the work?' Mind you, I have chosen the very best of the questions--one that can actually be answered with some reference to materials and processes. But there is no need to have attended library school to answer even this question; what normal human being would not respond, 'To begin with, I'd have to undertake a review of children's [sic] reading materials at all levels, including reference works, and the subject guides to these as well. I would also consult with the children's [sic] librarians of my acquaintance, and of course with those employed at this library.' I have a couple of terriers at home who could probably have given that answer. And they, like me, never took a class in children's [sic] librarianship.
Michael, if your terriers could have given those answers, then you should have had them do your interviews for you. It's obvious to me that you have virtually no idea how little understood our profession is by the general public, making it wonderfully clear to me that you will probably never be hired to work as a public librarian. Is there a reason why you've chosen to denigrate this completely lucid answer to the question? Do you have any notion that the vast majority of people in the world don't know the difference between a "reference work" and a "novel", and therefore wouldn't know the first thing about how to actually decide what books to purchase following any rationale? Do you really think so little of this profession that you think any "normal human being" can do this job? That's what you're saying here . . .
Screw you, pal. The librarians I work with and know take a great deal of pride in themselves and the jobs they do for little or no recognition beyond the internal pats on the back we give each other. Calling the hiring process a "farce" or "dust and fluff" is marking you as more than a malcontent who can't get a job; you're belittling the efforts not only of the questioners, but also those of us who have pursued this career seriously enough to answer those questions you think so little of. Take your snide self-aggrandisement and cram it.
And before all the McGrorty groupies come all unglued and flame me mercilessly, telling all about what a scumbag I am for calling him out, let me say this: I don't want to hear from anyone who has not worked with him personally, ok? Because every single person I know that has worked with him, and that number is probably in the teens by now, thinks little of him, to put it nicely.

18 Comments:

Blogger Slangred said...

Right on, surly!

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Note to self: don't mess with Bryduck. Ever.

Considering how little the Library Dust-er thinks of the libraries and librarianship I cannot imagine why he chose to join the profession in the first place. Libraries are better places without him in them.

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My God, just shut the fuck up already.

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see from this and other posts that you have made it your life mission to blast this fellow at every turn. You use his name, therefore you have made this your personal vendetta. You don't like the way he thinks, so you blast him. What does that make you?

I won't entertain my answer to that question but it certainly doen't make you a better person.

Personal bashing such as this doesn't belong in a public place. And I for one, don't like your attitude.

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If this is the best you can do, you must be the most boring person on earth.

11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will have to write some more entertaining, and less angry, articles in order to get the blog fandom of other librarians.

I really am curious to know why this man inspires so much wrath in you...as if you are in competition with him for something.

5:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are you, a spurned lover? Good grief, move on with your life.

5:48 AM  
Blogger bryduck said...

To the 5 anonymous commenters above, I say: 1) I write about him because people who know him personally bring his posts to my attention, and they invariably offend me. When McGrorty stops being offensive, I will stop writing about him; 2) I've written about Bush and his Administration many, many more times, and will continue to do so, because they are far more evil and sickening than McGrorty is. How, exactly, do you figure that I have "blasted" him "at every turn" as if it is my "personal vendetta", or that I am like a "spurned lover", seeing that this is only the second time I've written about him in over 3 months?; 3) He inspires my disdain precisely because he is supposedly a (the?) voice of librarians for a lot of people out there, and I refuse to let his misguided and ignorant ramblings stand unchallenged; and 4) I am angry--our country is becoming a fundamentalist oligarchy, our social services are being decimated, we are teetering on the precipice of a severe fiscal crisis, and our armed forces are killing people (and being killed) all over the world. If McGrorty is garnering the "blog fandom" of librarians via his self-interested posts having little basis in reality, then you can have him. I'm trying to point out bigger fish that we all need to fry. If that's boring for you, go read his blog instead. If you're looking just for entertainment, you're already in the wrong place. It doesn't sound like any of the 5 of you have worked with McGrorty, so you clearly have no idea what he's like anyway. Bash me all you want--until I hear from someone who has worked with him in a library setting that actually likes him, I'm not shutting up.

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

McGrorty is my writing mentor, so yes, I have worked with him, asshat.

And here's an idea for your pompous self: If you don't like his blog, DON'T FUCKING READ IT! I know that's a difficult concept for a baboon like you, but for Christ's sakes, at least give it a try.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

McGrorty is my writing mentor, and is probably one of the smartest, most competent and understanding people I've ever met. The guy has done more for me alone than Bryduck has probably done for the entire planet. I defend McGrorty because he is my friend, and I don't want to see him belittled by some egotistical, whiny moron with nothing better to do than write in his LJ about his obsession with President Bush.

I've known McGrorty for years. Bryduck's only association with him is seeing his blog.

And yes, asshat is a wonderful word.

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Asshat is a wonderful word, and anyone who decides that Michael McCrorty is somehow a shame to the library world because of what he wrote about the library interview process, without any other evidence, fits the criterion for that label.

I've known Mack for about a decade, mostly though our shared interest in gardening, and have never known anyone who's met him face to face to find him less than unfailingly charming, helpful, useful and amusing.

I call envy and ignorance on your part.

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've worked with the guy, and in casual conversation with some library world friends I once mentioned my issues with his patronizing and self-aggrandizing ways. Well, one of those colleagues RAN (yes, RAN) to get their spouse, who apparently had worked with him and held the same views I do. The colleagues I have who have worked with him have, without fail found him un-charming, un-helpful, hightly un-useful (especially in that he has often insinuated himself and his views in a conversation about professional matters between colleagues who are employed and are by all counts doing excellent jobs without "Mack"'s help) and not at all amusing.

If I were "Sandy," I'd be highly offended at his characterization that I had sealed my fate at 16, that I had no opportunity to make any changes in my life thereafter.

I am particularly offended at his seeimg view that public libraries (most of whom work very, very hard, with very, very few resources) callously aren't doing enough to help the illiterates or the homeless, or any of the other people he condescends to speak for.

We do what we can, and often much more than should be possible, to help so many people with so many needs.

I've been offended early and often by McGrorty's views, expressed personally when I've worked around him, and in his "small gift to the library world," which is just a forum for him to continue spouting his crap about a profession he has yet to earn a full membership in.

I would also say that anyone who is a personal friend of his is easily more biased than the rest of us, including Bryduck, who has earned membership in the profession, and therefore has a right to say whatever he wants.

Oh, and, to the particular "Anonymous" who says Bryduck should stop reading McGrorty's blog if he doesn't like the guy, why don't you take your own advice so you don't have to go apoplectic every time you see someone disagreeing or offended by McGrory's blog.

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm! Things must be slooooow in the library bidness, 'cause the whole thing sounds quite personal. Tell the truth: would Michael not sit by you at lunch or was it perhaps...because...well, we are very personal here...your mother never breast fed you?

You know, pal, I can forgive a pissy little distribe penned by a socially inept neurotic, but hell, you didn't even get the real jist of it! You didn't say a WORD about the crows! And sloppy lack of attention to detail and thorough research is wholly unforgivable.

But thanks for coming out.

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, dear--more gall and wormwood. How on earth do you manage to squeeze so many words out of that cramped sphincter of yours?

It's time you and your demented devotees learn you might not be as expert on the topic of Mr. McGrorty as you fancy yourselves. That conceit belongs to me. I have known Michael for over 36 years--and most of them have been spent working very closely with him indeed--making me one of few living experts on the fellow. So I not only know far more about him than you or those Michael-hating strangers you brag about as numbering "in the teens"; I also know that which is truly important about the man--that he is infinitely more than an enviably fine professional: he is an enviably fine human being with a heart, wit, and intellect which you advertise your lack of by simply being yourself. And until YOU have worked with him, you are in no better a position to criticize his professional behavior than those you claim have no right to an opinion because THEY have not worked with him.

It's time you learn something else, too: Michael finds your eagerness to raise his already high profile deeply gratifying. So please keep it up, O Anal One.

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not getting personal in the least. You seem to be, however. I'm discussing his blog, INTENDED FOR THE LIBRARY WORLD as he himself designates, and his work in a library, OF WHICH I HAVE DIRECT EXPERIENCE. I also refer to library world colleagues who feel the same way I do, BY VIRTUE OF WORKING WITH HIM IN A LIBRARY SETTING.

I don't care a whit to discuss him and his views outside the library world setting. If you've known him for 36 years, you obviously don't know him as a library professional, but as a personal friend, so lay off the commentary unless you are able to limit it to the library world.

Oh, and BTW, the "library bidness" isn't at all slow. Maybe you haven't walked into a public library since you were a child--but the public libraries are busy places with all kinds of people who come in with all kinds of needs, all of which we are dedicated to serving without judgement. Especially without calling ANY question a stupid one. I am quite glad McGrorty doesn't work in my library system. His attitudes (AGAIN, TAKEN DIRECTLY FROM HIS OWN WRITINGS!) indicate that he scorns the kinds of situations and questions that regularly present themselves at a reference desk or in a children's department.

If he can't find an iota of respect to devote to the profession he has chosen (and I'd posit he chose it on some overly-sentimental rememberings from his childhood and not because he truly understands what this work is about), then he's better off working in another profession. And so are we.

Slam away. I'm in the trenches every day, helping people get what they need. Your ignorant BS in defense of a personal friend doesn't make the radar, "pal."

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Given my life-time of experience as an intense user of libraries, and my experience working with librarians both as a non MLS library employee and a professional researcher, your anger at McCrorty's criticism of the hidebound attitudes of most of your profession reminds me of why I was so often frustrated in my attempts to get information I needed.

Your anger comes off not only as a personal vendetta, but as a living example of the workings of the Peter Principle.

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh very nice. Sarcastically very nice that is. Michael is an intellegent man entitled to his perspective...just like you when you post trivel on a blog

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

trivel?

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home