Wednesday, July 27, 2005

And so it goes

My symptom of the day: a sharp, arthritic pain in my hip joints! Luckily, it affects me most when I try to lay down and sleep, making my previous SOTD, heartburn, seem like a piker in comparison when it comes to preventing me from getting any rest. I'm not sure whether this is a side effect or an effect, but I'm sure that when I speak to my nurse practitioner (I've pretty much given up the idea that I'll ever see a doctor again . . .), she'll have little if any actual news on that front. The Beautiful One suggested (and I had also posited) that this is the "bone pain" resulting from one of the final shots given me during my IV chemo phase, but I'm holding out for rheumatoid arthritis as the culprit. It just seems so right, you know?
Oddly enough, the pain goes away when I stand up or walk, so maybe I'll walk around the world for cancer! Sure beats sleeping, I'd say . . .
Addendum:
This turned out to be the most painful day yet--we finally found something worse than the nausea from day 1! By late afternoon, I was incapable of dealing with the pulsing, shooting pains in my lower back (the hip pain was completely overwhelmed by this new agony), which had prompted spontaneous shrieks of unimaginably unbearable distress. I called the nurse practitioner, who got in immediate touch with the doc. The doc allowed me to take ibuprofen and Vicodin (my first ever dalliance with narcotics, at least for therapeutic purposes. Ahem.), and by evening I was back in stasis. My back is still touchy, but nothing--nothing--like it had been. Whew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home