Monday, June 05, 2006

Inheritance wealth

Let me begin by saying that I've been afforded the luxury in my life to have had a father who sacrificed much of his life to providing for his family. I never went hungry (well, except for the times we had meals that had onions in them--which I can't eat), I always had clothes on my back (maybe not the cool clothes, though, making me the object of much ridicule at school), I went to college without having to work as well (an unalloyed bonus), and I had the continued and somewhat selfish ability to rely on my parents to provide me cheap shelter when I chose to go back to grad school. I also have the luck in having a mother who is as far from spendthrift as you can get; she seemingly wants to see how much money she can save over the term of her life, in order to pass on something to my sister and me, I presume. That is the way she was brought up, just as my father was brought up to provide for his family despite what personal crosses he might have had to bear.
That being said, and in full knowledge that this is quite contrary to my own economic benefit, I think the elimination or even reduction of the "estate tax", which the Senate will vote on next week, is a wildly anti-American, nearly immoral political move. Our nation was founded with a distinct interest in discarding inherited wealth as remaining the prime determinant in one's ability to pursue life, liberty, etc as it had been in Great Britain. Most of the Founding Fathers and successive generations of American leaders believed (aside from many of the relatively quickly discredited Federalists) in the leveling of class distinctions in our new nation--heck, even our President is called, simply, "Mr. President", instead of "Your Majesty", or "Your Excellence", or some other honorific. Wealth was supposed to be earned by individuals, not passed down in perpetuity from generation to generation, and even if that belief was soon to be made fairly unrealistic by the massive wealth created by the Industrial Revolution (which created fortunes so large that even splitting them up among many heirs did not truly eliminate them), the value gulf between the wealthy and the impoverished was not necessarily unbridgeable. The FFs consciously strove to create an "open" society (wherein a titled nobility did not exist, and where anyone could supposedly work hard/long enough to become a landowner--the mark of a successful person long into the 20th century), because it was in the best interests of a continuing democracy. Inherited wealth was seen as anathema to a democracy because it could engender in fact a nobility the FFs eliminated in name. One of the many ways we have historically been able to check the rise of a permanent wealthy class (although one would hardly be faulted for thinking that we've done a pretty poor job of doing so since the post-Civil War period) is through the taxation of inherited wealth.
Levying an inheritance tax is seemingly a no-brainer; it should be an easy sell to the vast majority of US citizens, since for the most part, an estate tax only affects a miniscule portion of the public. Our current law (passed in 2001) states that individuals can pass on $2 million to their heirs tax free, with any additional inheritance being taxable at a 45% rate. To illustrate, let's say my Mom has an estate worth $2,000,000. She decides to pass it all along to my sister and me, evenly split. She pays 0 taxes, and I inherit $1 million tax-free. If she owned $3 million, she would pay 45% tax on that 3rd million, leaving $2,650,000 for my sister and I to split, etc.
Seems like pretty light sledding, doesn't it? How many people have more than $2 mill to leave their heirs, after all, right? Not that many, apparently. According to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, a non-partisan non-profit org, only .5% of the public have estates that large. That's right, 99.5% of the people in this country are completely unaffected by the estate law as currently worded, and that's down from just a touch over 2% when Smirky and co. jobbed the country with his tax cuts in 2001. And now the Repubs want to reduce or eliminate it entirely? What the f*&k for? And why would anyone sane even think this is a good idea in the first place? This is so obviously a case of the rich getting richer at the cost of revenue for the government--and nothing else--that it should have been laughable from the start. The law in 2000 was already a joke to begin with--how much money does one person need, especially unearned money? I would be ashamed to vote for a bill to increase the amount of money already rich people can inherit. It's simply obscene. Worse, it's unAmerican.
The estate tax needs to be raised, not lowered; inheritance shouldn't be used a method to perpetuate a class system that so many patriots devoted their entire lives to eliminate. Our nation used to pride itself on the fact that there was equality of opportunity, if not equality of means (which would constitute the ultimate open society). When the rich own so much of our system already, though, and work to increase their wealth by "gaming" the laws to their exclusive benefit, even that shred of our heritage is in stark danger of being lost.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You just KNEW you'd hear from me on this, right? Why on earth should the gov't get any of the money I've managed to save? If I had a say in what they do with it, I might feel differently. Why on earth do you think the rich have lawyers, form tax SHELTERS, etc? To avoid paying anything! If there was some way for the rich to cough up what they really owe, I might feel digfferently - again. But, in this world, the little guy, who can't get his hands on a sharp finance lawyer, make himself into a corporation or hide his money in the Balkans or wherever it is, gets what dough he's squirreled away taken by:a) the Feds; B) the state & c) the inheritance tax on top of or before the other taxes. You can literally have over 75% of your savings wiped out! Fair? I don't think so!
Love, Good old Mom

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep. You got THAT right, Bry.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

*Full disclosure: My inheritance is going to consist of about $40, plus an inestimable fortune in collectors' plates.*

As with your Prop-13 argument, I agree with you for the most part, but I so utterly disapprove of our government's wrongheaded spending habits that I have to play devil's advocate for a moment: Were Bill and Melinda Gates to die in a fiery crash right now, I'd a hell of a lot rather their money go to their foundation than to the sinkhole in Iraq.

Sure, I understand that not all people of ungodly wealth are philanthropists, but a majority are—it's really in their best interest. And in the current climate, charitable foundations are our best hope against total plutocracy.

How's that for devilish advocating? Give to the wealthy in hopes that they'll give some back. My tongue is pretty firmly in my cheek at this point, but you get the idea: It's hard to support the paying of the piper when he has yet to play the tune you've been requesting for decades. May as well pay Sony instead and hope they'll make you a nice record of it.

Now, if we could designate that future estate tax monies, or at least a concrete portion of same, go directly toward shoring up Social Security, let's raise the roof, or, er, lower it…

2:09 PM  
Blogger bryduck said...

Ok. Let's see. In response to mom and scout, let me just say that I'm not trying to put a crimp into what you do with your money--if you want to avoid having any taxes go to the IRS, you can certainly give away as much as you want so that the amount of your estate remains below whatever threshold that exists. Whether that's to your kids or your favorite charity is up to you. What I'm talking about is what the inheritor gets.
If you don't think the government should have any of your hard-earned lucre, whether because you don't believe in taxing wealth in this manner or because you don't trust them to do a good job with it, you don't have give any of it to them. Leaving all but that first $2mill to charities far and wide means no taxes to anybody, right? I can't see how giving money away should be a problem! And you are deciding what your money gets spent on, presumably . . .

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home