Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Quick hitter on the New Job

Sometimes it's tough figuring out a new job, even if it's with the same organization. My new position is one where I'm in charge of a bunch of people that already know what they're doing, and have been doing so for a while. How much do I try to change things--should I even try? I've been promoted into places that were in such turmoil that it was relatively simple to effect positive change, since anything was an improvement. This time, though, that's not the case. Everyone seems happy and works hard already. I'm the one that needs to prove myself as a boss. I've done that before, too, and don't have any problem doing so here either. Aside from the professional aspect, though, it seems tougher to create a comfortable work environment for me this time. Granted, I've only been here a few weeks, but the type of library this is necessitates my being separate from all the other employees for most of the workday. That isolation makes connecting with the others more difficult, of course, and the fact that most of my staff are part-timers means that I have few chances for meaningful interaction with them anyway.
Paradoxically given the above statement, the bulk of my day is spent on a public desk, whereas my previous position was more evenly split between office work and helping the public. This means I have to squeeze most of my "business" in between helping patrons, instead of being able to divide my time more discretely. That is an entirely different skill--I now have to be able to maintain my concentration through continual interruptions and also stay aware of my surroundings as well.
I'm not exactly complaining; one of the librarians working in another department made it clear to me what she thought when she exclaimed "Welcome to the Real World" when I mentioned some of this in response to someone's "How do you like it so far?" question. I guess I've been coddled over the past 3 years . . .

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it possible there's some hidden sour grapes in your new co-workers? I'd suggest making a point of checking with each employee, often (weekly?) to say hi & ask how everything is going, any problems, etc... Gives you a chance to know them & them to see that you are interested in them & the work they do. Hang in there -you'll get more comfortable as time goes by. Don't be in a hurry to make any changes - the boat may be sailing smoothly & you don't want to rock it!!!!
GOM

4:16 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

You could change a whole lot of protocols in really random ways. Then everyone else will be floundering and you'll immediately find yourself at the top of the curve! (Of course, just like anyone at the top of any curve, you'll have to then embrace the idea that everyone else hates you.)

12:15 PM  
Blogger bryduck said...

I'm used to the hatred, so that's no biggie! ; ) And I'm changing SOPs without even planning on it, so I'm following your advice to a "T". (Haw! Inside laugh there.)

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO: WHATS THE LATEST NOW THAT YOUVE BEEN THERE 2 MONTHS?????? FUN?

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home