Sunday, March 27, 2005

Springsteen on U2

The Beautiful One and I were flipping back and forth between "The Amazing Race" and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction show on Thursday night when I saw Bruce Springsteen on the tube. I've never paid much attention to the induction ceremony, but I'm a huge Springsteen fan, so I stopped to listen. I had no idea that he was giving the speech to induct U2, another favorite group of mine. As he spoke, both The Beautiful One and I became more and more impressed. His speech (and it was his; he had it written out in front of him on what appeared to be notebook paper) was eloquent, funny, moving, and fundamentally honest. I happen to think that of both of those artists, so it was also incredibly appropriate. I have a good friend who doesn't much care for the Boss--"all his songs are about girls and cars, and they all sound the same!"--but I hope that even he would admit that this speech was something special. If you don't get a chance to see the induction ceremony (I would imagine that VH1 will replay it at some point), the whole speech is transcribed here.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bruce is nice and all, but you need to add this link to your site:
http://www.humanclock.com/clock.php

Bye!
Lyndsay

8:38 PM  
Blogger bryduck said...

Well, ok. Thanks, Lyndsay!

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Surly Librarian, for getting me the full text of Bruce's speech--the newest "Rolling Stone" only published a few paragraphs. I laughed, I cried. Now it's official--the Boss is truly the Boss. The Boss of Everything.

8:55 PM  
Blogger bryduck said...

He is, indeed. When's the tour, Bruce?

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I JUST heard about this! On May 1, the Boss will be between shows in Phoenix on April 30 and LA on May 2. I know that he hit it off with Conor on their tour for Kerry last fall. Besides, Springsteen's new album is called "Devils & Dust". What better place to play songs from an album with THAT title? I've been to Coachella--it's full of devils and dust.

7:35 PM  
Blogger bryduck said...

Uh huh. We'll see about that, anonymous. My guess is that if the Boss does show up, he'll get on stage to perform a 20-minute a capella version of "Dancing in the Dark". How would that taste?

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home